Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Parks and Potholes

Over the past few days I noticed a large amount of activity in the area. Parks were being tended, trees trimmed, benches repaired etc. A magnificent pothole was finally filled in by the gate. (yippee!) Then today on the way out I noticed a HUGE sign welcoming the Prime Minister. Suddenly everything was explained...

It reminded me of when we lived in Bucharest and the Pope came for a visit. The main streets were repaved, burnt out lights were replaced, and the grass was neatly cut.

It really annoys me that everything is only made presentable when someone "important" is making a visit. Shouldn't our neighbourhoods be maintained all year round and not just when a VIP is coming? Why should extraordinary respect be given to any one person when all citizens deserve to be treated with as if they are special?

Okay it bugs me- BUT I am kind of happy the PM is coming. That pothole was driving me crazy!!

5 comments:

ITS said...

Which PM, Berisha? I thought he already lives in Tirana?
I don't understand...

Miss Kim said...

Yes Berisha... he actually lives about 3 blocks from here. We live inside Student City and I guess he's coming to visit the students!

Ll.T. said...

Lovely :(

Ll.T. said...

Kim, I hope you don't mind but I went ahead and put this story on Peshku. Please let me know if you'd like it to be taken off there, or if you'd like a summary of the comments.

Best,

Ll.

Miss Kim said...

Llukan, that's fine with me and a summary of comments (if there are any!) would be nice.

I want to add a bit more to the story... The PM obviously made his visit last night to the Student Club. We were going out in our car just before he was finishing the visit and we were driving out down the road and out the gate. We had to drive very slowly, inch by inch because in front of us was a shiny red fire truck with a fireman and a hose powerwashing the road and about 10 ladies sweeping every last pebble off the pavement. Ok, it made us feel quite special! But alas, we realised it wasn't meant for us, but for the tires of the PM's automobile. In the end it made me feel quite nauseous. When any one person is raised to this level of special treatment in a country when so many of the citizens are existing at levels of desperatation, something is clearly unacceptable.