Friday, March 14, 2008

I Need to Get Away

A couple of weeks ago (in Albania) my friends told me I really needed a break- or in other words- I needed to go home to Canada for a vacation. They could see my irritation level was rising and my patience with everything around me was really thin. I was angry about everything around me from the lack of enforcement of the no-smoking laws to the lack of caution by other drivers. My friends were astonished that I even could get angry. I'm generally such a smiley, happy person. So I took their advice and here I am in a small village in the middle of nowhere in Nova Scotia.

Mom and I were out this afternoon- we went to the video store and to the lovely little bakery. It's just so nice to be here. The people are sweet, friendly, and helpful. Small town Canada should be a role model for all the world.

So how surprised was I when I impatiently blurted out the following sentence, "My goshhhhhhhhhh, the drivers around here are just toooooooo darn slow!"

Mom didn't bat an eyelash and simply said "Kimmi, you NEED a vacation!"

9 comments:

G in Berlin said...

That's funny!

The German and I kept exclaiming, whervere we went, at how genuinely nice and friendly the service people, and general interaction was. You don't realize how much you miss that until you get it again.

J said...

I totally understand what you mean. I'm in need of one too.

Ginnie Hart said...

This post made me laugh out loud, Kim! :) Hope you DO have a vacation while there!!

hockeyman said...

This is so true about drivers in Nova Scotia... if you "come from away" they drive you a little crazy before you too are cast under the patience spell...

you can't help but thinking if that guy up there lets one more person in I am going to walk up there and punch him in the face.... but a couple more weeks and a few more craft shows later you too will relax...

Anonymous said...

Horrific pictures from Gerdec. I wonder whether impatience contributed to the initial detonation.

Lynda said...

I am off for a week back to Europe next weekend - you were totally correct, best to get away just before you become nuts! I am looking forward to some quiet and some fresh clean air.

Beth said...

Your much needed break sounds lovely.

(You need a vacation from your vacation???)

swenglishexpat said...

Isn't it wonderful with a bit of slow pace sometimes? Enjoy!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

How I love Nova Scotia! Small town Canada should be a role model for the world.
My husband's mama was from Diligent River. We vacation in Parrsboro every June for two weeks in a cottage on the Bay of Fundy. I love how isolated it is from the breakneck pace and daily grind of what I call the 'real world', although it's not good for the locals. Most of the young folks have to move to Halifax or some major city because Parrsboro was bypassed by the Trans Canada highway and the economy is non existant there.
But, as a getaway? Heaven.
I've posted many photos on my Not Really A Cleaning Lady blog.