Monday, January 28, 2008

Delicious Raisin Bran Muffins

These are delicious and healthy muffins, and easy to make. Served with a nice hot coffee or tea and a slice of cheddar cheese, they are one of our comfort foods. If anyone knows what MOLASSES is called in Albanian (if there is a word) and if it's available somewhere in Tirana, I'd really appreciate it. For now I have a carton of it from Canada but it's getting low!


Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C.
Grease standard size muffin tins or line with paper cups.

Whisk together in a large bowl:
2 cups flour
1.5 cups oat or wheat bran
2 TBSP sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt



Beat in another bowl:
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
2-4 TBSP butter, melted

Add to the dry ingredients and combine with a few swift strokes. Fold in, before the dry ingredients are entirely moist:
1 cup raisins (or chopped walnuts)


Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve hot or let cool.

Makes 12

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh stop it! - I am thinking that 'summer' is only about a month away here in Cairo... and I am soooooo not ready for swimsuit season.... I was just doing the 'open fridge door - close fridge door - open cupboard - close cupboard' routine and then I saw your photos.. they look delicious.

Lynda said...

And.... point me in the direction so that I can do my blog title like yours... I can get the pic - but I have no choice about placement of the title or the script I would like... how do I do that?

Anonymous said...

Molasses = melasë but I am not sure that it still exists in Albania.