Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Why My Passport Has So Many Stamps!

We returned from Turkey late Sunday afternoon and I whizzed through the laundry hamper in order to get some of the stuff repacked by Monday noon. You know you can't really rush European washing machines but at least I have figured out the shortest cycle (brevia) on my Italian machine. So I was able to do 3 loads and have them hanging up on the terrace before bed, ready to iron in the morning.


Now I am sitting here in our favourite hotel in Vienna once again. If you ever come to Vienna try to book at the Starlight Suites, a great little hotel chain which offers roomy suites at really great prices. When we arrived we took a taxi right to our hotel only to find that we were actually booked at their other hotel on the opposite side of the city center. Can I tell you how disappointed I felt? My gosh, I almost had to fight back my tears until I started to look at it through my new "Dharma eyes". And something happened to me... my attitude changed. My new mantra kicked in- "go with the flow". So we jumped into another taxi and quickly arrived at the other location.


Everything is exactly the same here- exactly. All the same furnishings and set-up, so we feel right at home. I have to admit that we like the other location mostly because we can zip over to TGI Fridays for a bit of 'comfort food' if we like, and because when Peter goes to his meetings I know my way around that neighbourhood. But guess what? This neighbourhood is maybe even better! Almost next door is an Indian restaurant called 'Tandoor' and we LOVE Indian food though we both couldn't remember the last time we ate it! We had such a delicious meal there last night and left with 'happy mouth's and tummy's'.


Now I'm ready to explore a whole new part of the city with my eyes and with my camera. I was worried before that I'd have nothing new to show you since I've already got so many shots of Vienna on my blog, but I am hopeful that with our change in location (and attitude) I will find a bunch of lovely things and places to share with you!


Let the day begin!

11 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Oh please share everything about Vienna! I think I'd love to take the family there on a weekend break one day. Give me something to look forward to! ;-)

Judith in Umbria said...

What I have heard is that there is the great Bosch display in the world there. I would like to see that. And then I would like to walk to Budapest-- which unfortunately proved too expensive with the dollar in ruins.

Ginnie Hart said...

Attitude really is everything, isn't it! I love how it can change supposedly "negative" situations. Good for you.

verniciousknids said...

TGI's is the best for a steak / hamburger fix...sometimes you just have the craving for non-exotic food :D

MsDemmie said...

have a wonderful time .......... X

Anonymous said...

I clearly see why your passport has so many stamps. Wonderful with somebody moving about as much as you do. My passport is green with envy...

Anonymous said...

You've got to be kidding, there's a TGIF in Wien??????????????/

Unknown said...

how much fun! I'm glad things worked out for you... :)

Sara said...

i always make my husband take me to subway when we are there visiting (its his home country(. what part of town are you in? my favorite "real" vienna thing to do is sit in cafe central with either an iced coffee (the kind with ice cream) or a hot wine, depending on the season.

Cynthia Rae said...

You get to travel a lot, I am sooo jealous! Have a great time!
Cyn

Writer and Nomad said...

wow, i need to start hanging out with you guys. i love indian food too.

and you're right about going with the flow, sometimes i have to break myself out of comfort mode and venture to somewhere new (instead of sticking with the smae neighborhoods and restaurants). i've found some amazing spots that way.