Wednesday, March 12, 2008

To Each His Own

Every morning I smell the coffee that my wonderful dad makes and I get out of bed, search for my slippers, and wander into the kitchen. Mom, dad, and I sit around the table, eat toast, and watch the local news. This morning there was a piece that just made me laugh at its absurdity.

A man in a small town was charged with having a chicken in his garden. A CHICKEN. Whooo hooo! Back 'home' in Albania we have chickens, cows, and horses wandering past out house everyday- sometimes in the middle of the city we have to stop our car to let a herd of sheep pass into the park. It's hilarious to me that the town council is giving this guy a hard time for one chicken. And I love his defense-- one chicken as a pet is no different from one rabbit! He's right isn't he? He also stated that this chicken is a model for his wife's paintings. Oh come on- let him keep his chicken.

1 comment:

james said...

Justice and reason still exist. A similar problem came up in Carmel, Indiana, a suburb of Indianapolis. They City allowed the homeowners to keep the three, yes THREE, chickens because they were pets and did not cause a nuisance. Luckily for the neighbors, the homeowners don't keep roosters. Now those are a nuisance.