Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy "Turkey" Day!

Okay... Thanksgiving is a truly American holiday (and a little bit Canadian but we celebrate it in October)... It is NOT an ALBANIAN holiday at all- not even one tiny iota. Nada. Nyet. Jo jo jo (Albanian for NO).


So... this morning as we were driving along the Lana River (yes the same Lana River that my URL has in its name)... what did I see but TWO HUGE TURKEYS. (I know it looks like I'm yelling and well... I AM). At first I thought they were two somewhat rotund park/riverside cleaning ladies bent over with their dresses up over their heads (see that would be sort of expected in Tirana)-- but uh uh--- as we got closer I realised they were TURKEYS. Now I've never seen them before-- actually I don't think I've ever seen a Turkey in Albania anywhere- and I surely have never seen these two strolling along the river which runs right through the center of the city. But today-- which weirdly enough is American Thanksgiving-- I find two well fed Turkeys seemingly running free. So here you have my snapshot of these amazing creatures. I doubt they'll be on anyone's plate tonight, but who knows- they might just make it to our Christmas Dinner!

Happy Thanksgiving one and all!



6 comments:

ITS said...

This seems like a CIA move to Americanize against their will the good Albanian people.

/gobble gobble

melusina said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Are you serious. We always have Turkey in Albania. We even slaughter them inside our houses during the Christmass holidays..

Pam said...

That's an amazing coincidence!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ll.T. said...

Turkeys are New Year party meat in Albania Kim :)

It is sort of a tradition and there's plenty of them; in fact the best ones are supposed to be from the areas that have a lot of olives since they're fed olives....

Cynthia Rae said...

The turkey KNEW he had better get out of the States during the Thanksgiving holiday. He was kind enough to take his wife along with him! Smart turkey!

Too funny.
Cyn