Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Few Days in Vienna

Recently we were able to spend 4 days in the beautiful city of Vienna. P had a quarterly conference to attend at head office, so I went along and spent Thurs. and Fri. wandering the streets and visiting a few of my favourite galleries.

This is the Albertina-
There was an extraordinary exhibit on at the Belvedere Palace called "New Austria", covering the period when Austria became a republic in 1955. It is a fabulously curated exhibition- you follow this huge red and white ribbon through the timeline surrounding the event itself. There are lots of intriguing things to see and hear, with even a real guillotine on display (I'm still trying to figure out why?). In the room right after the guillotine are 6 of the most glorious Klimts! The effect is quite shocking to say the least. I used to think that Klimt was a bit cliche but oh my! The Kiss is marvelous! I sat and stared at it forever, totally wrapped up in the sensuous feelings it invites.
Everynight we had some type of Asian food- from sushi to quasi Thai. We were spoiled!

No comments: